<VV> starter issue

judynrandy at comcast.net judynrandy at comcast.net
Fri Nov 21 13:37:10 EST 2014

A heads up.  I drive my Corvairs year 'round, too.  The starter in my '65 Monza 4dr acted exactly the same way.  I wasn't in any hurry to change it out, so I poked around.  BIG mistake.  Guess when it finally puked?  If you guessed when my wife happened to be driving it, you're right.  Lesson learned.
If you drive your 'Vair daily, (like me) my advice would be to bit the bullet, remove it and have your friendly neighborhood auto electric place rebuild it for you.  In my area, I took it to "Nicks' Generator" and he did an excellent job.  Only cost about $75 or so.  It's like the old saying:  You can fix it now, or you can fix it later. But fix it you will !! I chose to fix it now, at MY convenience.  Then I'd have alternative transportation lined up and life is good.  This way, if you go the rebuild route, you'll have a like new starter and you'll know exactly where you stand.  Peace of mind is worth something.  Think about it.  Our Corvairs are 45-54 years old!!!!

Randy (Cap'n) Hook
'60 700 4dr '64'110/4spd
'63 '500' ragtop 110/pg
'65 Monza 84/pg