<VV> Radio for a Rampside

Sethracer at aol.com Sethracer at aol.com
Sun Nov 23 01:35:01 EST 2014

"My opinion" - You are choosing to make an ethical leap (which is okay by
me!) If you move to a non-stock (in the Rampside) radio, then you will open
up  all kinds of options. GM used several AM-FM radios in their bigger cars
during  those years. Not too many AM-FM stereos, but some. Among the
Buick/Olds/Pontiac  AM-FM mono radios of that era are many that would fit into the
FC Radio  bracket/mount and look "Kind-of" stock. My guess is that the
Custom Auto Sound  Radio would be similar in appearance to those. The GM radios
would be about  as expensive as the Custom Auto Sound units, unless you find
one at an  out-of-the-way junkyard. (Which are still around, just not near
the big cities)  As an alternative, you could find a spare FC Radio mount and
modify it to take a  modern (as in the last 10 years) aftermarket radio
with a square DIN mount. This  opens up many possibilities, at about a third of
the cost (depending on the cost  of the spare bracket). (Sirius-XM
anybody?) If you want to get period  correct, there used to be several sources for
small FM converters which mounted  in-line on the antenna wire, and would
pipe an FM signal (mono, of course) into  the AM radio on some unused AM
channel. The face of the unit hung down under the  dash bracket and allowed you to
tune the FM with a knob. Then it would look like  1965 all over again. And
sound like it as well!

Good Luck. - Seth Emerson

In a message dated 11/22/2014 4:16:21 P.M. Pacific Standard Time,