<VV> Steering column replacement on a 65 late model.

Jerry Brown air_cooled63 at yahoo.com
Sun Nov 23 09:20:54 EST 2014

I'm getting ready to replace the steering column on a late convertible as the lower bearing appears bad.  This is my first time of doing this and looking at the tech manual it shows a place in the splash panel(page 9-9 figure 18 page 9-9)  that appears that a hole may have to be cut to get to the coupling for the steering gear box and steering column to get the bolts loose to remove the column to remove the steering column.  If this is so how big of a hole has to be cut? Any way around this?  Jerry Brown