<VV> Steering column replacement on a 65 late model.

Sethracer at aol.com Sethracer at aol.com
Sun Nov 23 16:31:18 EST 2014

It is a matter of time spent. Remember, that is the Manufacturers guide for
 a dealer mechanic to remove and replace it. It is "possible" to do this
without  cutting the hole. How much is your time worth? It means going up from
below -  now on a (dirty/rusty?) bolt, then prying off the coupler. But I
have  better news, Jerry. The easiest way to do this is to pop off the snap
ring at  the top of the coupler. A screwdriver in the right place will do
this. And let  the coupler come apart. Be prepared for a bunch of small, greasy
parts to fall  off as the coupler comes apart. I suggest you pull the
steering gear down at the  same time you remove the column. It will be easier to
assemble and install  the coupler onto the column when you are done, and
install it onto the tip of  the box. But unless your splines, both on the tip
of the boxes input shaft and  on the end of the coupler are clean and well
lubricated, they won't want to just  slide off. Let us know how it goes.  Be
sure to wear eye protection!!

-Seth Emerson

In a message dated 11/23/2014 6:22:42 A.M. Pacific Standard Time,