<VV> Space Saver Spare for Early Model

Mike McGowan mcvair at sbcglobal.net
Sun Oct 5 11:15:35 EDT 2014

Doc, I did this for myself and thought I would share my findings with the community.  If no one else is interested then you can disregard it.  I am using it for a Devin-Corvair which weighs 1400 pounds and has very limited carrying space.  So both the weight and size are important to me.  I am adapting an aluminum jack for the same reason.

As for the unsafety at speed, these spares are meant to go slowly and carefully to a place of repair.  You are not supposed to commute on the freeway while waiting for tires to go on sale.  Modern tires seldom go flat, so a spare is unlikely to be used but reassuring to have.

When I last drove my air conditioned 1966 Monza 4-door, I tried both styles of spares, the collapse/reflate and the skinny donut.  The luggage compartment as you know is irregularly shaped, and the stock spare is large and mounts at an angle which wastes a lot of that space.  Especially if you do not have Positraction and can use a smaller than stock diameter, you may find that a space-saver fits in to allow a lot more usable space.

--Mike Mc