<VV> Long Life Batteries Re: [FC] 51R Batteries only three major sources

frankcb at aol.com frankcb at aol.com
Mon Oct 20 21:33:55 EDT 2014

IMHO, the secret to getting long life from lead-acid batteries is keeping them on a sophisticated charger as often as possible.  I been using the Battery Tender Plus for many years.  It has 3 levels of charging.  The final level is 13.4 volts which keeps the battery at full potential without significantly decomposing the electrolyte.   Using this device I kept the original Delco battery that came with my 1995 Pontiac TransSport running for over 10 years and the replacement running for 8+ years when I finally traded in the car for a newer model Chevy Equinox.  This is the best type of charger to use especially on cars that are seldom driven.
    Frank Burkhard
    Boonton, NJ

.  When I started with Advance in 1994 as a part-timer, their batteries were the pits.  Western Auto offered AC Delco Batteries. which seemed to have far fewer issues.   My 65 Monza has an Autozone Gold, replaced recently but the first one I bought when we began the rebuild had only been out of the warranty for 2 months.  My F-150 and 99 Mercury Grand Marquis has batteries from O'Reilly Auto parts---not having any troubles with all of them---Replaced the 05 F-150 battery last year. 8 years was very good service for the original equipment battery.  Back in the 90's  if a Ford OE battery had a 60 month warranty---at the end of the 60 months they were Graveyard dead.Just my observational .02Hank _______________________________________________This message was sent by the VirtualVairs mailing list, all copyrights are the propertyof the writer, please attribute properly. For help, mailto:vv-help at corvair.orgThis list sponsored by the Corvair Society of America, http://www.corvair.org/Post messages to: VirtualVairs at corvair.orgChange your options: http://www.vv.corvair.org/mailman/options/virtualvairs _______________________________________________