<VV> Thermister Swap

RAMBLERPAT at aol.com RAMBLERPAT at aol.com
Mon Sep 1 10:53:07 EDT 2014

To all, I have been reading the feedback on the  ROCHESTER 3080-38
TEMPERATURE PROBE that I happened upon while trying to save  a few dollars
on the unfortunate shortage of affordable thermisters  situation. It is true
that the $300 - $400 needed to purchase  an NOS AC thermister is
prohibitive for many Corvair owners, and  the $80 or so necessary for a used one is a
risk as well. In  addition, I well aware that this is the way it is in the
old car business  world and hobby. For theses reasons, and others, I was so
excited when  I discovered the new Rochester temp probe for $80 in the  2015
Spruce Aircraft catalog and I recognized the possibilities that it
represents.

    It appears that no one here knew of  this so the Rochester 3080-38 is
untested in a Corvair auto application as  of today of course. However, the
good news is that there is VV confirmation that  this unit it is essentially
the same dimensions including the thread size  as the AC thermister.
Perhaps, this is half the battle right there. It is  also my understanding is that
this thermister will work for us if  we match it to a compatible gauge,
after all it is designed to measure head  temps in an air cooled engine. This
discovery may help some of us save some  dollars and give us an upgrade to
more efficient and reliable  equipment too. Though I have not researched any
head temp gauges yet I  am hopeful the someone out there will try this set up
and let us know how it  works, provide us with the costs, and let us know if
it was worth the  efforts.

Patrick Laus

64 Spyder Coupe
Metro Detroit area