<VV> Thermister Swap

John Beck jb30343 at windstream.net
Mon Sep 1 12:28:52 EDT 2014

Sounds like you might want to take on this project, Patrick.  I started
down a similar road about 15 years ago.  It's a worthwhile project but
it wasn't anything I wanted to pursue. Here's more or less where I left
it.  A few things have changed.  There were no bare thermistors on the
market that were close to following the curve of the one used in the
Corvair.  I had not considered replacing the gauge nor was the Rochester
unit you found available when I was looking.  Replacing the gauge might
be a good option but it will likely mean sacrificing stock appearance.
I don't think you'll be able to match the Rochester sensor to the stock
gauge with just a resistor network but you should be able to get close
with an op amp or two.  That's the direction I was going before I
decided not to proceed.  If I were taking on that project today, I would
think about using an Arduino processor, an A to D converter, a D to A
converter and a LUT.  The Arduino is major overkill for a job like this
but once it's in the car I'm sure you could think of numerous other jobs
for it.  If you have the time, you might enjoy working out a solution.
Have fun.  --J.B.