<VV> belt tensioner tool

judynrandy at comcast.net judynrandy at comcast.net
Sat Sep 20 20:31:24 EDT 2014

Maybe a better idea is to use the tip in the 'tech guide' and install 2 coarse threaded studs and coupling nuts.  This way you can use a big screwdriver padded by a rag as a lever to tighten the belt.  Or, if you feel strong enough you can pull the idler pulley back with your good hand, then tighten one of the coupling nuts with the other. Tighten it just tight enough so you can pull (turn) the gen/alt pulley with both hands.
Also, ensure your pulleys don't have any rust and are smooth inside the grooves.
I've done it this way for years and still haven't blown my first belt.  It's not as hard as one may think.  Try it, you'll like it!!!!

Randy (Cap'n) Hook

'60 500 4dr   '64'110/4spd
'63 '500' ragtop  110/pg
'65 Monza 4dr   84/pg