<VV> Solid flywheel woes

jlstuk at juno.com jlstuk at juno.com
Wed Apr 1 15:07:16 EDT 2015

Mike, Is your current solid flywheel bolted or welded?  If welded, maybe the welds are breaking.I ran a welded and bolted flywheel for a number of years on 66 Corsa with a 140 engine without a problem. GM's engineers said they went to a riveted flywheel because they said their solid flywheel caused a noise that they likened to a freight train. I started with a welded flywheel then read that the different steel types of the multi piece flywheel  may not weld well so I doubled down and bolted it also. It was balanced before it was used.  Jim Stukenborg