<VV> Tranny and rear axle oil

J Bruce Weeks jbruceweeks at yahoo.com
Sun Apr 5 19:16:45 EDT 2015

When I first got the '66 Corsa last year, all was fine until about 3 weeks of driving, then downshifting into 1st gear got "crunchy". Within a few days, downshifting into second got crunchy and first impossible. A couple days after that, upshifts got noisy. After some research and "call a friend," the consensus was that the PO had put GL-5 in the X-axle.
So I ordered Redline MT-90 (cursing at the penny pincher that removed the drain plugs!) and replaced the lube. Took almost 2 months of driving to get all the crunchiness out, but she shifts smooth as silk now.
My research at that time said NOT to use GL-5 that indicated compatibility with GL-4. I read in one of the other responses to this thread that there may be a GL-5/GL-4 lube out there that will work with our synchros, but given the difficulty in getting the lube out of the trans with that infernal "sucker" and the reverse idler blocking the fill hole, I would not chance it.
(At least I think that was the reverse idler, I've not yet had one apart to know.)
J. Bruce Weeks