<VV> Tranny and rear axle oil

Vairtec Corp vairtec at comcast.net
Mon Apr 6 14:34:43 EDT 2015

This thread is starting to wear me out.

It's easy, really.

What is needed for stick-shift Corvair transmissions is Service GL-4,
with no mention of GL-5 on the label.  Even if the label includes GL-4,
if it also includes GL-5 don't use it.

This is true for all manual-transmission Corvairs. Powerglide-equipped
vehicles can use the newer GL-4/GL-5 products because the differential
lube is not shared with the transmission.

Here in my New Jersey climate, SAE 80W-90 is the best readily-available
viscosity.  But there are synthetic products available with a SAE 75W-90
rating, and these synthetics are generally acceptable.  But
non-synthetic products with a 75W-90 rating are too light for our Corvairs.

Also available is 85W-90, but this is considerably thicker when cold and
is not recommended.

I am not a oil expert.  But Richard Widman is and I took this
information from his writings on the topic.  See it here:
http://www.widman.biz/uploads/Transaxle_oil.pdf

The key point is, use 80W-90, Service GL-4 that has no reference to GL-5
on the label.

--Bob