<VV> Red Line Oil Web Site - answer?

J. R. Read hmlinc at sbcglobal.net
Mon Apr 6 19:56:54 EDT 2015

Actually, I contacted him again on the GL-5 thing and also on the hypoid gears.

Really, he seems to be quite familiar with this Gear Lube topic and I believe that he knows his stuff.
His answers:

JR,

My guide lists the GL-5 for applications back to 1950, though some could have originally specified an EP/HP gear oil with the introduction of the high offset hypoid ring and pinion in the 50’s.
For Chevrolet it lists a GL-5 for the manual transmissions and differentials back to 1950, the guide date. I haven’t found a specific spec release date.

A GL-4 potentially could be used if the transaxle doesn’t contain a high offset hypoid ring and pinion and doesn’t have an EP requirement, we base our recommendation on the original fluid specified. Some GL-5 certainly wouldn’t be suitable for use in a manual transmission, though the 75W90NS would be.

Also Re hypoid gear set:

No problem...
The 75W90NS is a GL-5 gear oil suitable for use with a high offset hypoid ring and pinion.

Later, JR