<VV> What ATF?

Jim Davis jld at wk.net
Tue Apr 7 20:10:24 EDT 2015

Depends on the temps you find in the PowerGlide.   Best is Dexron-3 if
your trans temperatures never exceed 220F.   The newer Dexron-6
(currently used by GM) is too slick for the old Powerglide and can cause
the clutches or band to slip under full throttle, but it is much more
temperature and viscosity stable.  Dexron-6 also has a greater amount of
detergents so it will keep the valve body much cleaner than Dexron-3.
How much more temperature, about 60 degrees since it is semi-synthetic.

For me, I use Dexron-6 and add part of a  bottle (10 oz) of K&W Trans-X
(Thanks Mike Dawson).  It has the friction modifiers to keep the band
and clutches from slipping.   My PowerGlide is a 140 behind a 190 cuin
Corvair engine in an UltraVan.
Jim Davis