<VV> Making sense of a gazillion posts on GL-4 vs. GL-5 (Yes, I did read them)

Joel McGregor joel at joelsplace.com
Wed Apr 8 17:46:03 EDT 2015

2 things:
1) You need to change it fairly soon after working on it anyway.
2) You DO need hypoid oil because you have hypoid gears in the differential.

Joel McGregor

From: VirtualVairs [virtualvairs-bounces at corvair.org] on behalf of Charlie via VirtualVairs [virtualvairs at corvair.org]
Subject: <VV> Making sense of a gazillion posts on GL-4 vs. GL-5 (Yes,  I did read them)

Nope I read them all, ~ and I hope this finds you in a better mood?

I recently tore my '65 Corsa 4-speed transmission and differential apart,
and a friend put them back together.

He filled it up with GL-5 that he bought, and now it looks like we need to
drain it out?

Then, while ordering some parts from Clark's, I asked the tech guy who said
that GL-4 is correct for 4-speeds (and agreed that it should not be "GL-4
hypoid"), and that their regimen is to use GL-5 for PGs only.

Charlie