<VV> 1965 seat belt info

Sethracer at aol.com Sethracer at aol.com
Fri Apr 24 14:15:00 EDT 2015

Bruce -
All 65s had front belts as standard. The inner mounting holes in the floor
are located on either side of the "Tunnel" - actually a pretty small hump
in the  middle - behind the seats. The outer mounting holes are in the
rocker, just  below the aluminum trim. You will likely have to pull the carpet up
to find  them, if the carpet was replaced and the hole pattern not
transferred.

Now I saw the picture. Yes, that is the correct style bolt - I would look
for some with a little less rust. Almost any aftermarket seat belt will
work.  The originals had a nice boot over the mounting end to hide the bolt head
and  the belt plate. One important note for installation. The late model
Corvair -  with buckets, at least - has the inner mounting for the seat belt
on the other  side of the centerline of the car. That means the inner mount
for the drivers  belt is the hole behind the passengers seat and the inner
mount for the  passengers belt is the hole behind the drivers seat. (The belts
do cross over  each other in operation.) If you just twist them and use
them on the wrong side,  you will compromise safety, because that usage will
allow the person in the belt  to travel several inches further forward in an
accident. so cross over the belts  when you use them! It is the safe thing to
do.

Rear belts were an option. If the car originally came with them, the mounts
 are there under the rear seats. They use shorter belts but the same
special  bolts. If it didn't come with rear belts, they can be added. If you do
that, be sure to follow the factory guidelines for locating the holes.
Otherwise, brake lines and electrical wires are endangered!

Seth Emerson

In a message dated 4/24/2015 9:03:53 A.M. Pacific Daylight Time,