<VV> OK to run switched dual electric fuel pumps? - no corvair

Larry Forman larry at forman.net
Wed Apr 29 22:58:01 EDT 2015

Hi Everyone,
This has nothing to do with Corvairs, but might interest Corvair
owners.   This application is for my Toronado powered Ultravan with an
Olds 455.   Currently it has one Carter rotary vane external electric
fuel pump for the Holley 4 BBL carb.    I would like to add a second
identical fuel pump with the inputs to both filtered and connected to a
T connection and then to the fuel tank outlet line.    My hope is that I
could have a SPDT relay or switch to turn on either, but not both, fuel
pump and have on-board redundancy.      I do not know if the rotary vane
pumps can handle back pressure from another operating pump.   I suspect
so, but would like confirmation that this should work and not damage the
non-operating pump.

Since I am adding a fuel pressure gauge at the output of the fuel pump,
at the worst case I could Tee in a second pump that is not powered and
run the input of that pump into a catch basin.    That way I could watch
the fuel pressure when I add the second fuel pump and also see if any
fuel flows backwards toward what would become the gas tank outlet line
in actual operation.  I do realize that often there is a fuel return
line for overflow from the fuel pump and that this exists for some Corvairs.

For Corvairs, this might be something to consider to build in redundancy
to the electric fuel pump system.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Larry Forman

---