<VV> Server upgrade time

Bryan Blackwell bryan at skiblack.com
Mon Aug 31 08:41:07 EDT 2015

Hi folks,

Some of you may recall our last CORSA server upgrade, which was generously funded by VV donations.  That box turned out well, it's been in operation since 2004, of course with a few replacement parts here and there (mostly disk drives and more RAM, as you'd expect).

But ten plus years is a pretty good run for a server, and as before I'd like to not just build a replacement, but take advantage of some newer gear that's available - most significantly use solid state drives for the boot and database volumes.  I also want to have more space available for chapter newsletters, a number of chapters keep their archives here.  This will also give me the opportunity to upgrade the OS, there are a few projects cooking that could use the latest and greatest there too.

So, as with last time, it would be great to get some donations to help get us to that nicer box.  I can cover the basics (CORSA pays a yearly fee), but I have a some options to get to the "Fitch Sprint" config taking shape that should work for a long time that will cost a little more.  Glancing at parts, it looks like the total will be around $1000, so a few $10 or $20 donations will make a big difference.

If you have any questions, please drop me a note off the list.  If you want to send money via PayPal, gift it (no fees that way) to bryan at skiblack.com.  If you want to send a check, I am:

Bryan Blackwell
6329 Hillside Rd.
Springfield, Va. 22152

Bryan Blackwell | Springfield, Va. | bryan at skiblack.com | http://autoxer.skiblack.com/
CORSA Eastern Div Director
  Corvairs: '62 700 Wagon, '64 Greenbrier, '65 Corsa, '66 Corsa
  '69 Road Runner, '99 Neon R/T, '00 Miata SE, '09 Ford F-150