<VV> Front end shimmy

Dusty Steinberg noahsarkinc at earthlink.net
Mon Aug 31 11:37:46 EDT 2015

Ball joints rarely cause shimmy problems, but bad tie rods will, also if there is a bad wheel bearing, it could, but I doubt it.  I suggest that you jack the car up under both lower control arms, and wiggle the wheels at 3 & 9 O'clock, and look for any looseness in the tie rods and a loose wheel bearing.  Then, using something like a long pipe, lift on the wheel at 6 o'clock, and check for any movement, looking for bad ball joints.  One way to check for a bad bearing, is to spin the wheel, and listen for noise.  Not always will they make noise.  The best way is to take them out and clean and inspect them, and putting in a new seal, grease them and put back together.  If you are not familiar with how to do these tests, then ask a fellow club member that is.  Lacking that, then leave it to the professional mechanic.
Paul in CT