<VV> '65 - '66 RA and RB engine codes

BBRT chsadek at comcast.net
Mon Dec 7 15:32:14 EST 2015

Jim,
I'm not sure what you are asking as I know you know about the different
codes (as others are pointing out). The only differences between coded
engines of a given year are those items that make it different from a
standard low horsepower engine. Blocks and rotating mass are the same (until
later smog years) with the exception of clutch pressure plate, and
crankshafts. For Corvairs, I should point out that crankshafts were first
cast, then forged and then nitrided for performance engines. The letters or
in this case, the R"B" refers to the cams, heads, exhaust, engine sheet
metal and distributor, the above clutch and crank items. Obviously those
things that go with a given head, like bigger exhaust stacks, gaskets and
log manifolds, intersecting sheet metal, and of course, carburetors, and
their intake manifolds are indicated.
And by now, most engines have been "messed with", so everything is suspect.
What did I miss or forget?
Chuck S