<VV> Gummi carbs..

gyoungwolf at earthlink.net gyoungwolf at earthlink.net
Mon Feb 9 07:00:52 EST 2015

 Once again I am going to have to rebuild the carbs.  It's been down for other work this winter, and now it is gummed up and pumps are shot.  I rebuilt early last year. I suspect that it is the ethanol.

Ethanol seems to wreak havoc on the rubber parts in the fuel system and causes pieces to harden and break off, and can leave some white corrosion behind on the aluminum, but not so bad on gumming things up, so I would suspect that fuel additives are settling out as the fuel evaporates from sitting in the carburetors. I regularly find thick syrup-like sediments in black, green, blue, and brown when rebuilding carbs. Use StaBil or other anti-settling/evaporative additive if the car will be out of service for a month or more to reduce the problem. A rebuild, per se, is probably not needed - just a good cleaning of the venturi cluster and passages, to include the squirter holes.
The Carbmesiter