<VV> How to do it. Re: Re-hang a door alone?

frankcb at aol.com frankcb at aol.com
Sat Feb 28 21:15:45 EST 2015

I regret having to tell you this, Ignacio, but the secret to getting the Corvair doors back to correct alignment is to drill one hole in each door hinge and into the frame behind it then threading a snug-fitting screw into each hole BEFORE you loosen the ORIGINAL screws and remove the doors.  Assuming the door was hanging correctly BEFORE you removed it, these holes/screws will enable you to restore the door to the ORIGINAL alignment.
    Some years ago when I was taking a body shop course at night after work at the local Vo-Tech school, I would drive my 67 Corvair with a dented passenger side door to the school, unbolt the door, and take it inside to work on it.  When the class was finished for that evening, I would take the door back to the car and rebolt it back on to the frame using first the original door bolts (but not tightened) to simply support the door then using the new bolts to correctly ALIGN the door properly.  Then I would tighten the NEW bolts securing the correct alignment then lastly tighten the ORIGINAL bolts to provide full support.  Worked like a charm for the number of times I took the car to the short evening class before the damage was finally repaired.
    If you do this remember to drill the holes only large enough to allow the screws to make a snug fit in the holes in the hinge so there's NO PLAY and so that they have to thread-cut their way into the metal of the frame so that's also a tight fit.  This way the new screws and holes will keep the NEW alignment the same as the OLD alignment.  But you still have to finally restore the original door hinge screws and tighten them to get proper support for the full weight of the door during driving.
    Good luck and let us know what works for you.
Frank Burkhard
Boonton, NJ