<VV> Caveat and Question : Does Amazon have the correct starter drive?

Bryan Blackwell bryan at skiblack.com
Tue Jan 6 20:00:26 EST 2015

On Jan 6, 2015, at 2:36 AM, Charlie via VirtualVairs <virtualvairs at corvair.org> wrote:

> I wanted to know if anyone else has tried successfully to buy Corvair parts
> from Amazon, and what part number they found for the late model starter
> drive?

Really this is a common problem when buying from any non-Corvair vendor.  Back when such things were in stock at the FLAPS, you could take the old part in to match it up, but that's not as useful since the cars are about 50 years old.

Nowadays it's tougher.  Best thing I can suggest is when possible, plan ahead and pay for the knowledge of a vendor to get the right thing.  Most of the time this works ok as long as your Corvair isn't your only car.  Second is this is why a good local CORSA chapter helps, as you found a local person had a GUP (Good Used Part) you could use to get back on the road.  Next thing is in the Tech Guide there are some interchange lists - most are old, but in some cases there is a cross reference to another car that will help.

I get some non-Corvair parts from Amazon and other on-line vendors, I've had some bad part numbers here and there, so it's not just Corvairs that are an issue.  I've run into the same thing buying locally since a lot of places use the same parts databases, really the only place to be sure is at the dealer - those parts fit!  Not usually an option for the Corvair, I'm afraid.

--Bryan