<VV> Beds and tailgates

Sethracer at aol.com Sethracer at aol.com
Fri Jan 16 01:26:19 EST 2015

Just for reference, It was likely a Ford Courier with a Mazda tailgate. Or
a Mazda pickup with a Ford tailgate. Mazda made both in Japan on the same
assembly line and many parts were interchangeable. The beds were made in the
USA  and added after the trucks were imported. There were some strange
tariffs, at  the time, which only applied to complete trucks. The companies
could import  them without beds, at a low tariff, and "complete" them  here.
Toyota and Datsun did the same thing. It is quite possible that  all import
pickup beds were made in the same factory! Maybe they all do  interchange!
Long Beach, CA was probably the small pickup  production/assembly capital of
the world - for a while! I think they are  probably building them in Yemen by
now. Gun rack is optional.

I have heard the same two-in-one car story with the Ford Fairmont front and
 a Mercury Zephyr rear. I personally saw a Chevy Monza Town Coupe (Ugly car
!) in  a Chevy dealer showroom with a 4.3 V8 emblem on one fender and a 5.7
V8 on the other. The 5.7L was the only CA smog-legal V8 at the time, but
Chevy  offered a 4.3L V8 in all of the other states. It must have been a tough
Monday  on the production line at Lordstown.  I wonder if the car pulled to
the  right.

- Seth

In a message dated 1/15/2015 7:05:41 P.M. Pacific Standard Time,