<VV> Beds and tailgates

Vairtec Corp vairtec at comcast.net
Fri Jan 16 08:19:12 EST 2015

On 1/16/2015 1:26 AM, Sethracer--- via VirtualVairs wrote:
> The beds were made in the
> USA  and added after the trucks were imported. There were some strange
> tariffs, at  the time, which only applied to complete trucks. The companies
> could import  them without beds, at a low tariff, and "complete" them  here.
> Toyota and Datsun did the same thing.

That "strange tariff" is still in place.  It's commonly referred to as
the "chicken tax" and it is why, all these years after the import
pickups from Japan, today's Ford Transit Connect is imported with rear
seats (making it a "car") and converted to the cargo configuration once
here.

Concerning incorrect badging, my aunt bought a new Dodge Omni -- or was
it a Plymouth Horizon?  Couldn't be sure, since both badges were on the car.

--Bob