<VV> Assembly Line screw-ups

James P. Rice ricebugg at comcast.net
Sun Jan 18 16:36:55 EST 2015

While I do not remember who told me this story or when it was, The Greatest
Assembly Line Screw-up I've ever heard about follows.

This young man ordered a Firebird.  On the way home from the dealer, he
noticed the interior emblems and such said Camaro.  Turned around and went
back to the dealer, who ended up replacing the interior.

Me?  I would have kept the car as a collector's item.

What also bemuses me is the idea that for every mismatch we've heard about,
there was probably another one in front of or behind the car we know about
with the opposite screw-up.

Back then, assembly line workers were not paid to think or pay attention.
They attached the next part off the rack onto the next car on the line.  Was
it ever done on purpose? Most likely.

Today, I think they can stop the line if something is wrong like wrong
parts.   Since the scheduling of parts to the line is  computerized, there
are probably fewer miss-match screw-ups.   At least I hope so!!!

Historically Yours,
                           James