<VV> Assembly Line screw-ups

RoboMan91324 at aol.com RoboMan91324 at aol.com
Mon Jan 19 15:51:13 EST 2015

Dennis,

Perhaps the "sidetracking" problem explains the worst assembly  line
screw-up I saw.

At the time, I was working as a mechanic in a service  station.  A regular
customer had an early 70s Cadillac that was still under  warranty.  Because
it was under warranty, he took it to the dealership for  major things but
brought us his other cars.  One day, he brought it to us  out of frustration
with the dealership.  It ran rough and had less power  than he thought it
should.  The dealership replaced plugs, wires, etc. and  couldn't find the
problem.  They gave up and said he should drive it  because it would probably
"wear in."

I checked this and that and finally decided to do a  compression check
despite it having very low mileage.  7 cylinders had the  expected compression
but one had zero.  I slipped a dipstick into the  sparkplug hole and it just
kept going.  I drained the  oil and pulled the pan off and, sure enough, it
had a piston/rod assembly  missing.  There was no scuffing on the journal or
cylinder wall.  It  ran surprisingly smooth for a 7 cylinder V-8.

GM/Cadillac failed but doo-doo happens.  For this engine  to get through
the process without detection, huge mistakes had to happen at  several
stations.  The guy who put the piston kits together might have been  the original
screw-up.  The guy who fitted, honed and inserted the  piston/rod assemblies
was the major culprit.  If there  was an incomplete  piston kit, put it
aside and use the next  kit.  The guy who assembled the rod bearings and torqued
the caps had  to know.  The guy who assembled the heads to the block had to
 know.  The people at the run-in/final test station had to see  something.
Somebody must have red tagged the engine at some point.   One disgruntled
or hung over employee couldn't explain this.

The real failure was at the dealership.  First, how could  they sell a car
that ran that rough without checking into it?  (How could  the customer buy
it running that rough? Great salesman? Drunk?)  Once the  problem came to
the service department, they had a testing  machine that they either didn't
use or didn't know how to use.  One of the  tests available on those machines
was a function where you can disable each  cylinder in turn.  You would
observe the RPM drop.  A good cylinder  would drop the RPM more than a bad
cylinder when disabled so the piston-less  cylinder should have stood out when
there was no RPM drop.

Understandably, the customer was pissed when I showed it to  him.  He asked
what I would charge to fix it.  I gave him a price  but told him that he
should make Cadillac fix it under warranty.  I didn't  bother to reassemble
what I took off and we had it towed to the  dealership.  Later, he told me
that the dealership started to give him the  "voided warranty" routine because
I had opened up the engine.  Maybe they  thought I removed the piston/rod
assembly without removing the head.   Anyway, they fixed it and I had a friend
for life in that  customer.  He referred several new customers.

Doc

In a message dated 1/19/2015 6:50:50 A.M. Pacific Standard Time,

Message:  5