<VV> crank pulley

Harry Yarnell (Verizon) harryyarnell at verizon.net
Sat Jan 31 15:37:46 EST 2015

There are no marks to go by on a Northstar for #1 TDC. When aligning the
four cams and three chains, I stick a 1/8" welding rod down the sparkplug
hole of #1 cylinder and manually turn the crank til the rod rises and just
starts to fall; then modulate the crank to TDC. Then I set my cams and
chains.
This method (welding stick) down the #1 plug hole would give you TDC on a
Corvair, but you'd have to look at the rockers to see if you're at TDC
firing or exhaust.