<VV> Trailering a LM

RoboMan91324 at aol.com RoboMan91324 at aol.com
Sat Jul 18 13:23:08 EDT 2015

Paul,

They are probably  not declining because of the weight  distribution but
because the Corvair isn't in their data base.  I have had  this problem with
my 1968 Camaro which, as you know, has a front  engine.

Yes, tailoring backwards would be the solution for a hard top  but that
doesn't solve your problem.  However, a clerk who only knows "what  is on the
computer" may not permit even backward tailoring.  Even with ballast in the
trunk they may not permit it.  Here  are a couple of suggestions.

If their problem is with the weight distribution, tell them  the Corvair is
a small vehicle and will sit forward enough so that even  with a rear drive
train, it will keep sufficient weight on the tongue.   This is probably
true but depends on the trailer geometry.  You should  always check the trailer
tongue weight with any car.  I think the U-Haul  trailer requires the towed
vehicle to be far  forward but other trailers usually permit you to
position the car almost  anywhere.  Get a couple of guys to try to lift the tongue
off the ball once  everything is loaded.  Loosen the clamp on the ball just
enough that it  will lift a little but not let the trailer flip back.  It
will be  embarrassing to tell your dentist why you have missing teeth.  Keep
in mind  that "just a little" weight on the tongue is not enough because the
trailer will  want to flip back when you accelerate.  Even so, make sure the
car is  strapped to the trailer so it doesn't go rolling away if the
trailer does go  tongue up.  The safety chains should also be attached to the tow
vehicle  before the towed vehicle is loaded.  Tell them that you are willing
to  drive the Corvair to the lot, put it on the trailer and show them.
Again,  you may have a problem with a retentive clerk.

If all else fails, lie.  Find another U-Haul dealer so  they don't assume
you are lying and come prepared to tell them you are towing a  smaller modern
vehicle that is in their data base and acceptable for even their  most
retentive clerk.  Of course, lying on the rental agreement may  invalidate
insurance if there is an accident especially if you accept U-Haul's  coverage.
By the way, check with your own insurance carrier and/or your  credit card
company.  Almost always one or both of these will include  coverage for the
trailer and towed vehicle for free.  Verify if it is just  accident insurance
or includes theft of the trailer and car.  Credit cards  usually cover
rental vehicles as well.  Check first.  "Usually"  doesn't mean always.

Good luck with the tow.

Doc

In a message dated 7/18/2015 8:18:44 A.M. Pacific Daylight Time,

Message:  2