<VV> Carburetor problem?

Jim Waddell wadde001 at gmail.com
Thu Jul 23 17:42:22 EDT 2015

Having troubles getting this message to the list!
Hope this comes through.

I used to belong to this list, but didn't have anything to contribute
so I dropped out. Now I have a problem that the collective wisdom
of Virtual Vairs may be able to help with.

Until a few days ago my 65 Monza Convertible (110 engine,
Powerglide transmission, 64,000 miles) ran just fine.
I guess I made her mad at me by pulling the right front wheel
and brake drum to see if I could see what was making that brake
grab occasionally. Her response is from the engine at the opposite end
of the car!
At half throttle and above, she seems to behave just fine.
Less than half, the engine surges between what was normal
and something that feels like half power. With my foot off the gas,
she barely idles and often stalls out at intersections.
It feels like one of the carbs is cutting in and out. (Is that possible?)

I pulled the air cleaner and cross tubes to have a look. There were 2
rubber gaskets
on the right carb, and the lower one was shredded! There was no gasket
on the left carb. Could a piece of the shredded gasket have fallen into
the carb
and is gumming things up?
(I may have put the cross tubes on backwards at some time in the distant
past.)

Further info: I bought a can of carb cleaner. With the engine running
(barely)
when I spray in the left carb, the engine speeds up. When I spray in the
right, it stalls.
With a brick on the gas pedal, the results are similar, but it doesn't
stall out.

I have a Uni Syn from my days as an amateur Volvo mechanic.
With a brick on the gas pedal:
The left carb has plenty of very even "suck". The right carb
has less suck and it seems to vary with the engine speed.

Any comments would be gratefully received.
Kitty ('cause she purrs) is the other woman in my life,
and all three of us would like to do some cruising while the MN weather
is good.
--
Untitled Document

Jim Waddell