<VV> Towing Powerglide

Smitty vairologist at cox.net
Sat Jul 25 14:33:36 EDT 2015

From: Joel McGregor <joel at joelsplace.com>
While it's true that the majority of the cooling comes from the converter
spinning, the converter is also where the vast majority of the heat comes
from so without the heat from the converter the transmission shouldn't even
get warm.  I would be curious to see if it even gets noticeably warmer than
ambient temperature.  Maybe someone that is towing will check?
Smitty Says;  Joel I promise you that a PG will get hotter than a pistol
while towing with the wheels on the ground.  How hot depends on duration and
speed.  In my ignorance or willingness to gamble I have fried a couple of
PGs.  I don't care if the heat comes from the converter or the pumps.  It is
still there and can turn the fluid brown in a hundred miles.  While I am
saying this I might add that leaving the car idle is not a foolproof way to
protect the fluid.  The converter, which turns with the engine may be able
to cool the fluid a little as it cycles the fluid from the tranny and back
again, but to be truly effective it has to be spinning fast enough to create
a centrifugal air pump, drawing in air and expelling it through the holes
provided in the bellhousing.
Jet aircraft hydraulic fluid (which is very closely related to Dexron 3)
have no converters, and do have large oil coolers and miles of tubing which
gives off heat, to keep the temperature down.  Still the fluid gets very
hot.  There are little pop up telltails throughout the aircraft which warn
the mechanic that the fluid has reached 275 degrees and the fluid must be
changed.