<VV> Bolted Flywheel clearance

clynn66 at bigpond.net.au clynn66 at bigpond.net.au
Wed Jul 29 04:48:14 EDT 2015

I am getting my 150 hp engine rebuilt. My engine builder has machined the heads of the 12 outer flywheel bolts down so they clear the bellhousing bolts. Its neat what he has done and clearance is not an issue now.
However, the literature says the usual solution is to chuck the enertia plate  from the back of the flywheel away and don't use washers on the bottom 4 bellhousing bolts. This effectively lightens the flywheel which would probably be good for racing, but may be slightly adverse in regard to smooth gear changes in normal road driving.
My car is only used for normal road use and is not raced so I figure I am best to stick with the enertia plate as per original setup.
Does anybody have any thoughts on these trade offs. Also, would the strength of the 12 outer flywheel bolts be compromised with the top half of the heads machined off?
Colin LYNN
Perth, Western Australia