<VV> Bolted Flywheel clearance

corvairduval at cox.net corvairduval at cox.net
Wed Jul 29 09:38:41 EDT 2015

I NEVER leave the inertia (? I think it is more harmonic in nature) plate
off. GM engineers had a three piece flywheel for a reason. They could have
saved a lot of money with a one piece design! Yours should even have the
extra weighted cast iron part, as it is high horsepower.

I do not cut all the head off. This is with 5/16" fine thread hardware. I
use a bench grinder and relieve the part of the head of the bolt that could
touch the bell housing bolt heads, after the assembly is bolted together.
This leaves at least 3/4 of the whole height head to provide clamping force
on the assembly.

Frank DuVal

Original email: