<VV> Is it common to remove 2/4 carbs?

MarK Durham 62vair at gmail.com
Thu Jul 30 14:24:35 EDT 2015

Marc, welcome. The answer is yes, some people have done this mod to reduce
maintenance on the 4 carbs, and some do it to get rid of problems with the
linkage it takes to keep all four running in sync.

There will be no harm to the engine, it simply will not perform for you
like a 4 carb 140, but should be a bit better than say a 110 2 carb motor.

And there are others that modify their small valve two carb engines to 4
carbs for better overall performance.

However, both of these reasons while still viable, have been mitigated with
good linkage kits, and good parts supplies, and many run their 4 carb
engines for years with little maintenance to the carbs, once set up
correctly. There are great parts suppliers around. You have California
Corvairs there in CA, Clark's Corvairs on the northeast coast are by far
the largest supplier across the country.

Virtual Vairs is a great place to ask questions. There are guys here that
have maintained Corvairs for 50 years.
Also, Corvair center Forum is another place I would suggest you join. There
is a list of suppliers (supporters of the site) there.

Corsa, the national Corvair group is a good place to join, along with a
local Corvair club.

Others will probably pipe up with additional info. I am from Northern
Idaho, so don't get involved with those so cal folks much.

Enjoy the ride. It looks like a nice find for the $ you spent.

Mark Durham
Hauser, Idaho
62 Monza coupe Red/Red 4 speed
I just bought a '66 Monza 4-dr in really decent, drive able shape. It has a
few issues but for $2800 it was a fair buy. I should add this is my first
Corvair. I just want to get a daily driver for my daughter.

Question: this is a Monza with the 140 engine and the Powerglide tranny.
Somebody removed 2 of the 4 carbs and welded shut the holes.

Is this common? Is it ok to leave it that way, and am I suffering anything
by leaving it? Why do people do that- is it performance related?

Thanks for listening. This is my first post here. I've been researching,
buying manuals, and getting my tools ready :).

Marc C. Lee
Orange County, CA
'66 Monza 4-dr 140 Powerglide