<VV> Is it common to remove 2/4 carbs?

Gary Swiatowy gswiatowy at rochester.rr.com
Fri Jul 31 05:36:26 EDT 2015

I haven't seen one of those for awhile.

You have to remember, there was a time back in the 70's where people went
nuts when the price of gas started approaching a dollar a gallon. And they
would do anything to get better mileage. A lot of it stupid stuff.
People were convinced that going from 4 carbs to 2 would save them money.
One car I picked up had metal plates made to fit under the secondaries to
block them off, the fuel lines were soldered shut, and the linkage
disconnected.

I had one person swap me their 4 barrel intake and carb off their olds 350
for the intake and carb off my Olds 330. I ended up with better mileage than
they did.

Many Corvair engines were hammered to death because people were convinced
they could not afford to put premium in it and ran the low octane until the
motor was shot. And that wasn't only Corvairs.

I also swapped my 3:23 open diff out of my Dodge for a nice set of 3:55 Posi
gears.

These were the years people were unloading their muscle cars and buying
Pinto's and Vegas, and whatever other econo car they could find.........

Gary Swiatowy

From: Marc Lee <marc at classicjet.com>
Subject: <VV> Is it common to remove 2/4 carbs?

I just bought a '66 Monza 4-dr in really decent, drive able shape. It has a
few issues but for $2800 it was a fair buy. I should add this is my first
Corvair. I just want to get a daily driver for my daughter.

Question: this is a Monza with the 140 engine and the Powerglide tranny.
Somebody removed 2 of the 4 carbs and welded shut the holes.

Is this common? Is it ok to leave it that way, and am I suffering anything
by leaving it? Why do people do that- is it performance related?

Thanks for listening. This is my first post here. I've been researching,
buying manuals, and getting my tools ready :).

Marc C. Lee
Orange County, CA
'66 Monza 4-dr 140 Powerglide