<VV> date codes, was: [SCG] OIL PAN

airvair airvair at earthlink.net
Wed Jun 10 06:38:01 EDT 2015

A note on "date codes" on stamped sheet metal parts. Many such parts DO have visible codes stamped in them. You can often find such codes in places like deck lid drain gutters or other secondary sheet metal areas. I believe all sheet metal body parts do have them initially. Often times though, these numbers would get trimmed off or buried from view during the car's assembly.

However, these are NOT date codes, per se. They are run codes, put in there to tell the factory what shift and day they were run. The are part of inventory control (first in, first out) to keep all the stocked parts supply fresh. I'd have to see any numbers in question to decode them, but if present, they would tell you when and where they were run. I know, because I often changed them when I worked on the sheet metal stamping line at a GM sheet metal fab plant.

-Mark