<VV> CORSA IS DYING - OH REALLY?

Corvair Underground sales at corvairunderground.com
Mon Jun 29 03:54:18 EDT 2015

Good Lord people - How long does this have to go on?

A car didn't get the classification someone thought it should and that
is "proof" of why Corsa is dying.. Some people are so upset about it (so
they say) they'll even drop their membership.

It really makes me wonder if Corsa's future really depends on the
membership of people that think that way.

Would you like to know how long the "Corsa is dying" mantra has been
going on? Well coincidentally ever since the internet became popular.
Every time someone had a complaint (legitimate or otherwise) or got
their feelings hurt (usually at a National convention)  the wise sages
all opine -" this is what's killing Corsa.".

Every time a new sparkplug joined the board and didn't get his/her own
way - well, "That's what killing Corsa". The fact that without consensus
you can't get what you want no matter how right you think you are.  Rule
#1 in politics is you have to know how to count. "They" are killing
Corsa because "they" want to keep doing things the same old way?  Who
exactly are "they"? I spent 3 years on the board myself and I didn't see
anything any different than with any other internal political body.
"They" are your fellow Corvair owners who may or may not agree with what
you want to do.

Well, it turns out to be a very slow death., apparently, as Corsa is
still around, still has numerous successful conventions (including the
Nationals) and, despite the internet age hasn't lost a giant part of
their membership.

But Lon, membership has been steadily declining - for the past 20 years.
Yup - a sign of the modern age where the internet tells us the big lie
that everything should be free. It's why swap meets, conventions and
more traditional means of "getting together" are slowly dying. The
internet age has killed magazine advertising and a lot of the printed
word.  Let's also not forget the average age of our membership - are we
supposed to believe that, if we just did the job right,  there's a whole
massive number of young Corvair lovers out there that we could get to join?

In the 90's my company had a customer list of over 80,000 yet Corsa's
membership was under 7,000. This was in a time when there was no other
competition for Corvair owners - The fact is most people are not club
joiners. That's radically more true today.

The honest truth is Corsa has been doing an amazing job maintaining it's
membership as well as it has. I understand Harry and Mike are retiring.
To all those who believe that getting rid of them is the answer, well ,
we'll see now won't we.

But I'm a realist. The people who use every little personal
inconvenience or slight as an excuse to "prove" "that's why Corsa is
dying" are not going to away.  The internet gives every person a giant
megaphone to use or misuse however they want. Ain't it just great?

So I'll ask - are you going to help prolong Corsa's life by supporting
it - or take the easy "internet" way and just snipe at it until it
really is dead?

Lon Wall