<VV> Classification and Scoring

Jim Becker mr.jebecker at gmail.com
Mon Jun 29 14:28:30 EDT 2015

Grouping late/early etc. on the field and assigning judges on such divisions
is simply a convenience done to expedite judging.  That can be done as part
of the judging procedures whether the cars are classified or not.  Whether
it has any direct bearing on fairness is open to discussion.  Point totals
are treated as absolutes.  e.g.  96 points for an early open is considered
equal to 96 points for a late closed, even though it was determined by a
totally different set of judges that had substantially different items to
inspect.  Actual classification of original/restored/stock/modified etc. has
no bearing on the scoring or awarding of color or division designations.
There is nothing wrong with grouping "like" cars together for judging.  But
don't kid yourself into thinking it has any other significance.

Agreed, entrants don't read the rules.  But adding another document that
repeats part of the one that already exists won't do anything to encourage
people to read either one.  Discarding the concept of classification would
eliminate about 3 pages out of the existing rules.  Maybe people can manage
to read the 5 pages that would remain.

Jim Becker