<VV> Viton O rings

Bill Hubbell whubbell at verizon.net
Tue Jun 30 14:43:16 EDT 2015

Lon, I did say "they aren't leaking (yet)"

You noticed the (yet), right?

Bill

On Jun 30, 2015, at 12:34 PM, Corvair Underground via VirtualVairs <virtualvairs at corvair.org> wrote:

  I can't definitively say when Viton O rings were used in Corvairs. But we know that they re mentioned as a good idea in Bill Fisher's How To Hotrod Corvair Engines circa 1969.  The biggest obstacle was the cost.

  Of the over 7000 different new parts we've sold a set of 36 Viton O rings is noted because in 1974 we sold them for $8.95 a set- Now we still sell them for $8.95 a set. If you take into account actual (as opposed to government "official") inflation that means in 1974 Corvair people were paying about $100.00 a set in 2015 money.

  Older members will remember Safari Enterprises out of Washington state who sold Viton O rings and supplied nearly all of us back in the 70's.

  I can remember having a lot of trouble talking Corvair people into buying them back then.  Bill Hubbel mentions that the Lambrecht car still has neoprene O rings in it, which is entirely possible. They're probably just waiting for the first high heat cycle and - crrrrrrrack - they'll start spewing oil everywhere.    Viton only has about 30-50 degrees higher failure rate than neoprene. What Viton has is the ability to not harden with age.

 And just for the fun of it - all materials have their preferred uses - so please stay away from Viton seals like crank seals etc. The well documented failure rate is right up there.  But for O rings they are unsurpassed in reliability.

Lon Wall
www.corvairunderground.com