<VV> Rubber Mat Interiors

jbailey jbailey at daytonwa.net
Sun Mar 1 19:29:20 EST 2015

I believe my '61 4dr 700 sedan has the original red stripped cloth interior
it came with.  As one might expect, the bench seat has long lost its
firmness.  I eventually plan to have the bench seat rebuilt and upholstered
with the rest of the interior.  The floor still has the original matting.
What is cool about this black matting is that it has flecks in it that
matches the Roman Red dash pad and door panels.  I added lap belts as the
car never had them or a radio for that matter.  I do not see driving the
long distance I do to meets and shows without belts.

Some local club members have recommended replacing the matting with
carpeting, as the car's mats are still one piece but have tears in
them.  Their concerns are that surface rust forms under these mats and that
carpets are not as much an issue in this department.  They also say
appropriate matting is "unobtainium". as well. Yes, I do have surface rust
under the matting.  That said, the car has been always garaged since 2003.
I also understand the maroon door vinyl is also not available, but close
matches can be found.

I do not intend this car to be a fancy  "show" car, rather I'd like to see
it stay reasonably stock in good condition.  Should I ditch the mat and go
the carpet route, or should I try to repair or replace the matting.  I have
seen plenty of mats in FC, but rarely have seen mats in a "restored" or
modified car.  Two pictures are attached, one is a close up of the matting,
The other is an overall view of the front interior.

Thanks,

John B.

1961 4dr 700 sedan - Oakland built.