<VV> Early model electric fuel pump question

Bryan Blackwell bryan at skiblack.com
Sat Mar 14 12:52:08 EDT 2015

Hi Nick,

I haven't done an early (yet), but I can make a couple general comments based on the installs I have done that may help you:

 - Use fuel injection rated hose.
 - GM did the original system very well, with only two pieces of minimum length hose.  Fab new hard lines if needed, and keep the rubber hose out of the engine compartment.
 - You will hear that the pump should be right next to the tank.  The actual spec is to have the pump at the same level as low point of the tank so it pushes (the gasoline will flow to the low point).  I prefer to mount external pumps on the transmission crossmember, in part to minimize the number of pressurized connections.
 - Some sort of crash switch is a good idea.
 - Depending on how you do the wiring, a cutoff switch so you can turn the pump off for when you want to do carb work, or one to prime the carbs after it's sat for a little while is handy.

See the Tech Guide for more info.

--Bryan