<VV> Story of "Lisa" 1964 Monza Coupe.

Ignacio Valdes ivaldes at hal-pc.org
Sun Mar 15 13:55:22 EDT 2015

The story of "Lisa":

I have the original bill of sale for 1964 Monza Coupe "Lisa" somewhere in
my papers. The car was purchased in Illinois by Mary Baran (not sure if
that is the exact spelling of the last name) who if she is still alive must
be in her 90's now. The bill of sale had her date of birth which is how I
know her approximate age. The car came to me in Houston when it was owned
by a Rice University architecture student Cemre Durusoy who drove it daily
and from whom I purchased it approximately 2000-2001 when she graduated.
Ms. Durusoy called her "Lisa" because there was one of those meeting name
tags stuck to the dash with Lisa on it.

Between 1964-2000 I do not know its history. It had a fair amount of rust
and mismatched interior and hood when I received it. The front cross member
has a big plate of steel welded to it to the center so I think it was in
rust country for awhile. A lot of welding, Clark's interior, door, hood
swap and "lagoon aqua" paint job made her look new again. Someone had gone
through the engine and put in Viton rings.

So my well-maintained "new" car a 1997 Honda Civic got rear ended a month
ago and is getting fixed. I've been driving Lisa daily now since then. The
neighborhood and nearly everyone else thinks it is cool.  It is the only
antique car in the parking lots of work and church and gets lots of smiles
and curious questions. My children like riding in "Daddy's old fun car."

-- IV