<VV> synchromesh problems

Smitty vairologist at cox.net
Mon Mar 30 14:40:46 EDT 2015

Smitty Says;  I have received quite a few posts from people saying I am using this or I am using that, with no problems.  I made practically the same statement with my first post concerning using “Synchromesh” in my transaxle to allow the synchros in my tranny to operate again.  There is no controversy as far as I’m concerned except when someone tells me to use this Amsol, Moble 1, or Shell product to cure my problem.  I strongly suspect that they have not read Widman’s article in its entirety or obtained all the data available on the product they recommend.  They pick up a container of gear oil or check it out on the net and it plainly says will not damage yellow metal fitting, or words to that effect.  It doesn’t say anything about synchronizers in transmissions because it is a gear oil for differentials.  There hasn’t been a satisfactory replacement for GL-3 since it was removed for lead content.  I’m not going to stop using “Synchromesh” as an additive although I will substantually reduce the amount added.  You keep on using what you think is best.  Some day when you or I have a total failure in your tranny or diff, please share the information with the rest of us.
One other thing, if you wish to carry on this investigation on what appears to work, make a point to use a reference in Widman’s article so we will know you aren’t talking off the top of your head