<VV> Springs for "working" Rampside

RoboMan91324 at aol.com RoboMan91324 at aol.com
Sat May 16 02:27:55 EDT 2015

Hi  Joel,

I am not following your analogy with water pumpers running  without water.
For that reason, what I am about to say may be a response to  statements you
have not made. Forgive me if that is the case.

First, lets get some generalities out of the way. You  shouldn't run water
pumpers without water; you don't run a Corvair without its  fan belt; you
don't run a high compression engine on low octane fuel unless you  do other
things to compensate; timing is an issue; air/fuel ratio is an issue  and the
list goes on. While these are worthy topics of conversation on VV,
especially for the "newbies," I hope I haven't given you the impression that  these
were topics in my most recent messages. My points were more  generic.

You and a few other folks have contacted me on and off list  defending
against my cautionary statements. I have also received contact from  folks who
tell me of an engine meltdown when they pushed their FCs too hard.  That is
"too hard" within the reasonable use of a working truck. I fully  understand
that there are many FCs that have been successfully run fully loaded at full
throttle and with other negative conditions. I  also fully realize that
many FCs have had engine failures under those same  conditions. The fact that
some have run their FCs under load with impunity  doesn't mean that others
won't experience failure under the same conditions. I  know a guy who survived
a 70 MPH crash with only a few scratches and bruises. He  doesn't go around
telling other people it isn't a potentially deadly experience  so "don't
worry."

My cautionary statement is based on the following facts and  highly
probable assumptions. Some will seem unrelated but I will try to bring  them
together by the end. Lets see if you agree.

1.) From an overheating perspective, water pumper engines  (with water) are
more robust than air cooled engines.

2.) Iron engines are more robust than aluminum  engines.

3.) Considering points 1 and 2, an air cooled aluminum engine  is the most
at-risk engine if it overheats.

4.) The engines in our FCs range in horsepower from 80 to 110  and
displacement from 145 to 164 CI. The VAST number of Rampsides had 145 CID  engines
which ranged from 80 to 98 HP and most of those were 80 HP. I am  ignoring
the 102 because they are very rare and have an extremely high mortality  rate
in FCs.  By the way, many people who are knowledgeable about our  engines
think the HP ratings are somewhat optimistic. A significant portion of  the HP
goes into the fan.

5.) Many FCs have modified engines whether good or bad for FC  use. My
cautions are based on the assumption the vehicles have as-manufactured  engines.
However, the cautions easily carry over to modified engines to a lesser
though still significant degree.

6.) Our FCs have poor aerodynamics. They have been compared to  "a barn
door in a windstorm" here on VV for good reason.  The higher the  speed, the
heavier the loading on the engine. Our FCs are driven at highway  speeds and
heavy wind loading occurs at even "normal" driving speeds. Please  take the
word "loading" in context. It can mean weight loading in the bed or  power

7.) Curb weight of the Rampside is 2700 lbs and the GVW is  4000 lbs. The
load would be 1300 lbs which is generally considered to be a 3/4  ton pickup.
This is rated with car tires.

8.) With truck tires and no other changes to the standard  Rampside, the
GVW rises to 4600 lbs giving us a potential load of 1900 lbs. This  is a 1 ton
pickup truck. Yes, our FCs are one ton trucks according to specs. I
hesitated to mention the 3/4 ton spec but knowingly withheld the one ton spec on
VV (until now) because I am sure it would have given some people incentive
to  carry around that kind of load.  Here is a link with the specs.
http://www.corvair.org/chapters/corvanatics/rampside.php

9.) For the sake of time and space, lets  combine a few facts and
assumptions. Our FCs are 50 + years old and many have  original engines in them or at
least other engines with similar age. Many, if  not most, have heads that
have never been deflashed. Many, if not most, have  sludge build-up which
diminishes the cooling effects of proper oil flow. Many  are not tuned or
maintained to best standards. Many have build-up of leaves,  road dirt, mouse
nests, etc. in air passages and/or the oil cooler and many  other potential
issues.

I believe that you accept all of the above as fact or at least  probable.

Our FCs are wonderful vehicles for many reasons I don't need  to list for
you. Considering their design, they have been quite reliable and  robust with
qualifications. Now, bringing this all together, here is why I wrote  my
cautionary message. What we have in a Rampside is a half  century old, one ton
pickup truck powered by an aluminum, air cooled, 80  horsepower, 145 CID
engine for the most part. It sounds amazing when you combine  the term "1 ton
pickup truck" with the description of the standard motor. In addition, there
may be many design, age or maintenance  issues. Lets ignore the air cooled
and aluminum portions of that equation for  the moment. Can you name any
other one ton pickup truck (or 3/4 ton for that  matter) made in the last half
century with those kind of HP and CID specs? Of  course, if you go back to
the real early days of cars and trucks, 80 HP was  fairly impressive but
those 1 ton trucks would have been geared pretty low with  a top speed of
perhaps 30 MPH or less fully loaded. The engines were also iron,  quite low
compression and water cooled.

Yes, Joel. The engines in our FCs are the weak point if used  as a real
working truck. It is understandable that the FCs' engines fry much  more often
than engines in cars but it is a huge wonder that more of the engines  don't
fry. I guess it is strong testimony to the skill and talent of those GM
Engineers back then.

I think you already know most of what I have written on the  subject.
Evidence of that lies in the fact that you have modified your engine by
deflashing it along with other measures. Hank and others have done similar
improvements. Hank was and still is confident in his engine because of those
modifications and his questions were truly suspension/load related. A rhetorical
question might be, "Why strengthen something if not to  counteract
weaknesses?" You have made modifications to help your engine survive  because you use
it like a real truck engine. So, how can you imply to others,  "don't
worry, be happy" as the song goes when so many engines out there are old,  never
rebuilt and unimproved as compared to yours and some others?

I believe my warning message was not only appropriate but even  necessary
to raise awareness of the issues surrounding the use of an FC up to  its
theoretical capacity. On the other hand, a newbie might infer from your  posts
that he or she is perfectly safe loading up their Rampside with 3/4 or  even
1 ton of material and driving it under any number of conditions; this being
done with an engine that probably hasn't benefited from modifications that
you  and Hank have performed on your engines. Imagine if someone  were to
take your post at face value and fry an engine. If they were to send you  an
accusatory message on the topic, I suspect you would heavily qualify your
original message. "Sorry to hear it. Did you use a 164 CID engine with 95 HP
deflashed heads, synthetic oil, with the big oil cooler, with a deep finned
oil  pan, with knock eliminator, with juicy jets on the carbs,  with
modified weights in the distributor, etc.?"

I believe you have done a disservice to some VV readers by  implying that
they don't need to heed my warnings.  Perhaps I should have  qualified my
original statement with, "Some people have different experiences,  but ....."
Perhaps you should have qualified your original response with,  "I have
taken precautions and made modifications to my engine, but  ....."

Just my opinion.

Doc
'60 Corvette, '61 Rampside, '62 Rampside, '64 Spyder coupe,  '65
Greenbrier, '66 Canadian Corsa turbo coupe, '67 Nova, SS, '68 Camaro  ragtop

In a message dated 5/14/2015 6:00:42 P.M. Pacific Daylight Time,