<VV> Springs for "working" Rampside

RoboMan91324 at aol.com RoboMan91324 at aol.com
Sun May 10 13:07:11 EDT 2015

Hank,

It doesn't appear so but looking at the  specs for the Rampside, it is a
3/4 ton pickup.  However, consider that  this rating is based on the ability
of the suspension and frame to carry the  weight.  You do the math on what
topsoil weighs.  On the other hand,  you need to be concerned about the drive
train.  Even "in the day,"  the FCs had a tendency to fry motors.  This was
partially due to the poor  aerodynamics of the FCs when driven at speed but
also that people would overload  the trucks and not pamper them while
driving.  An air cooled aluminum  engine is not as forgiving as an iron water
pumper.  In  short, the suspension and frame were up to the task but the drive
train and  especially the motor were weak links.  You can easily overload the
drive  train without overloading the suspension.

This motor problem is especially a concern with certain  motors.  I have a
102 HP FC engine.  These motors are extremely rare  and for good reason.
Very few of them were made and very few of those  survived.  This is because
the 102 HP motors fried very quickly in real  world use so Chevy eliminated
them as an option early on.  Because of the  high compression ratio, the
motors would overheat and knock themselves to death  when driven fully loaded.
I will modify my 102 HP motor with lower  compression heads before I install
it.

If you are going to use the Rampy as a fully loaded working  truck, here
are my suggestions:

1.)  The springs and other suspension parts were designed  to be very
robust.  Inspect the components to be sure they have not  degraded in over half a
century.  Pay particular attention to the  brakes.  A dual master cylinder
is a good investment.  If everything  is brought up to snuff, the suspension
part of the equation shouldn't be a  problem with stock components.

2.)  Be sure you do not have an engine that will knock  itself to death.
As referenced above, the compression ratio is an issue  but proper tuning and
air/fuel ratio is also imperative.  Keep in mind that  you can easily hear
engine knocking in a car but it is likely that you will not  hear knocking
in an FC and especially in a Rampy.  With road noise, wind  noise and with
the engine located so remotely, you could easily fry the engine  without
warning.  The first time you drive it fully loaded, you may want to  have an
assistant sit over the engine compartment for a while to listen for  knock.
This should be done under the worst possible conditions.   I.E., fully loaded,
engine fully warmed up, a hot day, uphill, slow speed,  etc.

3.)  You may want to invest in an aftermarket knock  eliminator.

4.)  You say it won't be an everyday work truck but keep  in mind that it
only takes a relatively short time, measured in minutes, for you  to destroy
an engine that is knocking heavily.

Good luck,

Doc
1960 Corvette, 1961 Rampside Pickup, 1962 Rampside Pickup,  1964 Spyder
coupe, 1965 Greenbrier, 1966 Canadian Corsa turbo coupe, 1967 Nova  SS, 1968
Camaro ragtop.

In a message dated 5/10/2015 9:04:51 A.M. Pacific Daylight Time,