<VV> [FC] Springs for "working" Rampside (Now Brakes)

RoboMan91324 at aol.com RoboMan91324 at aol.com
Sun May 17 13:45:10 EDT 2015

Bill,

What you wrote is absolutely correct.  I did mention a  dual cylinder in my
first post but failed to raise the red flag on brakes  anywhere nearly as
high as you did.  Bravo.  Both on and off list,  a number of people who
responded on this train bragged about their  FCs' ability to carry a load uphill.
 You brought to light the danger of  carrying that load downhill.  Yes,
skidding off a cliff is much worse than  replacing and engine.

I don't know if I would call myself obsessed with the engine  as the weak
link.  I merely submitted a series of responses.  After  Hank's initial
question, the subject changed from suspension load to the engine  and that is
where it stayed; until now.  If it can be said that I have  obsessed on the
engine, you could call me guilty of serial obsession.  Over  the years, I have
"obsessed" over tire safety, fans, engines most recently and,  yes, brakes
among other things.

Perhaps the highest value of VV is the tips and advice on  safety issues.
Your topic more than mine is a shining example of  that.  These topics have
great value to the "newbies" but also for those  who feel they are "old
hands" at the idiosyncrasies of our Corvairs.  Many  do not give their brakes a
thought until it is too late.

Something implied but not discussed in your statement is the  subject of
brake fade.  This nasty brake issue may allow false  confidence until it
raises its ugly head and then it is too late.  Here is  the scenario....  As you
say, brakes of the 60s are poor by today's  standards.  They were considered
adequate at the time but under certain  conditions could fail even when
new.  Most of us do not drive our vehicles  as if we were in competition.
Econo-Runs don't count.  :-)   Without getting too far into the physics, the
braking process basically turns  the kinetic energy of a vehicle in motion into
heat energy in the brakes as it  slows down.  You may have seen the glow of
cherry red brakes shining from  beneath a Formula 1 race car on TV as it
brakes into a curve.  Those brakes  were designed and built with "no cost
spared" to handle the heat.  For the  brakes to be used repeatedly or for a
single lengthy use, they must dissipate  heat from the previous braking event.
Our standard brakes are poor at  this.  If you have an emergency stop, the
brakes will probably work fine if  they are in good condition.  Several
emergency stops in quick succession  are another matter.  The brakes get very hot
and can fail.  I was  involved in a discussion some time back about
replacing our standard steel drums  with aluminum drums with cooling fins.  From a
fade perspective, this is a  vast improvement over the stock brakes though
still not anywhere near the  performance of disk brakes.  The main point is
that you may go along for  years with only "normal" braking duty which is
perfectly adequate.  This  could give you false confidence in your brakes.
Then one day, you decide  to load up the old Rampside to deliver the load down
in the valley.  You  think, "I will be driving downhill with the load and
uphill without the  load.  No problem."  You could consider those downhill
conditions to  be an extended semi-emergency braking experience.  Your
perfectly good  "normal driving" experience has now become your worst nightmare.  By
the  way, big-rig drivers learn early in their careers to use a low gear in
their  trannys on downhill grades to use "engine braking"  to relieve some
heat buildup in the brakes.  This is a significant concern  for FCs but also
cars.  It is especially the case with a fully loaded  FC.

On the subject of salt air and the effects on cars over time,  I completely
agree.  To expand; salt air is bad for steel vehicles and  components but
merely humid air is also bad.  Worst of all is an  environment where vehicles
are driven in the winter in a state that uses road  salt.  I used to live
in Minnesota where they use salt.  I remember  looking at an old El Camino
and the seller used the fact that it was a North  Dakota vehicle as a selling
point.  I asked why and he told me it was a  good thing because North Dakota
used cinders instead of salt on the roads.   If you are in a dry hot state,
you still need to check things out.  I am in  a warm state now but I own a
Canadian Corsa.  I don't know how much of its  life was spent in Canada.
Arizona is known to be quite dry and hot but  that vehicle may have spent its
life in the Arizona mountains with a very  different environment.

Bill, thanks for pointing out the larger issue.  Perhaps  this will
encourage a train of responses on brake issues.  Hopefully.

Like previous posts, I have included this response on VV as  well because
this is an issue for both cars and FCs.

Doc

In a message dated 5/17/2015 9:05:21 A.M. Pacific Daylight Time,