<VV> Fan bolt torque

Frank DuVal corvairduval at cox.net
Sun Nov 1 12:24:13 EST 2015

I checked. It does say 20-25 ft-lbs. But, I think it is referring to the
bolts holding the top cover on the block. I can not find my list of shop
manual corrections, as this torque spec should be in the previous step,
where the top cover is bolted on. See page 6A-20 section Installation 1.
and 2. of the 1961 shop manual.

Hmm, really odd spec as the 1965 shop manual calls for 7-13 ft-lbs for
this spec. But 20-25 in-lbs seems too low for the pulley.

Since these 4 pulley bolts screw into steel, I have always just used the
one "umph" torque spec when I tighten them with a 1/4"drive ratchet.
They are 1/4-20 on earlies (with 3/8 heads) so 60 or so in-lbs would be
typical.

And I can not find the spec in the 1965 manual either, but, that is a
5/16-18 bolt with 5/16 head IIRC, so the torque spec is higher. I might
be wrong on the bolt head sizes.

I also never used a torque wrench on a generator. True confessions.

Frank DuVal