<VV> powerglide speed

Jay Maechtlen jaysplace at laserpubs.com
Mon Nov 2 20:56:20 EST 2015

On 10/31/2015 12:34 PM, Michael Kovacs via VirtualVairs wrote:
>     While legally driving my '66 140 PG, I noticed several times with the PG locked in low, the engine would only rev up to about 4400 before it started misfire/break up. This happened 3 times. This equates to about 55-60 MPH.
>   Is this due to any physical restriction built into the system? The engine was pulling very strongly and accelerating just fine at this point.
>   It is a strong rebuilt engine with true compression at 9.25:1 and a mild cam. I just realized this week that the sparkplugs were not changed since the rebuild about 30,0000 miles ago. If one starts to misfire at this rpm, could it cause the problem?
>   Recommendation for spark plugs please...
that's odd - I didn't see any responses to this.
It seems to me that crappy plugs could cause misfire at full throttle in
higher revs.
Of course, so could other things, but 30k on the plugs means that it's
probably time for them anyhow.
I've never heard mention of built-in rev limiters on stock Corvairs.

I've seen a number of discussions here on plugs, so a an archive search
"should" work well.

There's a discussion starting 8/27, another at 6/2
--
Jay Maechtlen
SoCal

---