<VV> BRAKES

N2VZD at aol.com N2VZD at aol.com
Fri Nov 6 14:15:43 EST 2015

When I get an unknown vehicle to make roadworthy , the first big job is
everything to do with brakes. Upon dissecting brake hoses that are old , but
look good on the outside , I have found the inside all wrinkled up and
closed  off. I usually cut them off the body side with a good set of sharp  hose
cutter pliers I purchased from NAPA long ago. this lets me get the rest
apart  quickly. I just found this on a 62 wagon I am doing for myself now.
Cylinders  were beyond honing with deep pits etc , so they were mostly  bound
up. On  top of all that , I found a compression fitting ( A no-no on brake
system  plumbing)  hidden in the tunnel on the main line.
    I just got back from grinding my shoes to fit fresh cut  drums for
better even contact on an old ammco shoe grinder. Check by setting the  shoes in
the drums and looking for full contact of shoe to drum. check on  web:
http://search.aol.com/aol/search?q=brake%20shoe%20drum%20contact&s_it=keywor
d_rollover&ie=UTF-8&VR=3430
http://www.ewp.rpi.edu/hartford/~ernesto/F2014/MPT/MaterialsforStudents/Feis
t/Hohmann1999-Contact-Brakes-FEA.pdf