<VV> Need some tuning help

judynrandy at comcast.net judynrandy at comcast.net
Sun Nov 8 19:14:40 EST 2015

Scott,
What you have created is an "84".  That's an 84 hp engine found in some '62 & '63 'vairs.  I had one in my '63 ragtop when I acquired it.  It's basically a high compression '80'.  The main difference is the distributor.  The '84' distributor had a certain #, as did the 110 and the 80.  3 different distributor #'s.  This may be part of your strange goings on.  As for the overheating issue, did you "deflash" the heads?  That does a world of good to help cooling.  At this point, I have to ask:  have you considered creating a '64' 110?  You already have some of the stuff to do it with.  All you'd need to do is scrounge up a 95 or 110 or 140 crank, 6 late model rods and pistons, and a high performance camshaft of your choice.  Plus a 110 '319' distributor.  It'll run like a raped ape.  I used that formula to build the '64' 110 I now have in my '60.  With the addition of headers and a 4spd, it is definitely the most fun car to drive I have!  Anyway, if you are not interested, then the next best thing would be to scrounge up an '84' hp distributor and give that a try.  At least you'd be in the ballpark for what you've got.

Randy (Cap'n) Hook
Hopewell, PA